The Brandenburg Gate is a Triumphal Arch and stands on the former border between East & West Germany in the city of Berlin. The Neo-classical gate was designed by Carl Gatthard Langhans and was erected from 1788-1793 as a "Gate of Peace" (ironically). The gate was inspired by the Propylaea, the entrance to the Acropolis in Athens. The structure is crowned by the "Quadriga of Victory", a statue of a chariot drawn by four horses. The sculpture was designed by Johann Gottfried Schadow. The Doric gateway once served as a customs port.
In 1806, during French Occupation, the Quadriga was dismantled and taken to France. On its return to Berlin in 1814 the goddess was given a staff bearing the Prussian eagle perched on the iron cross and surrounded by a laurel wreath.
The gate was heavily damaged during World War II and was later restored in 1957-58. The Quadriga was also damaged and was recast from the original molds.
From 1961 to 1989 the gate was blocked as the construction of the Berlin Wall divided East and West Berlin .The gate was reopened in 1989 following the reunification of East & West Berlin. To view more images on the devastation of Berlin after World War II click here, Time Has Passed.